Saturday, January 31, 2015

Panama City

I spent I think 6 nights in Panama City doing a whole lot of not much and it was lovely. 

A lot of us from the boat trip were all staying at the same hostel so I had a pretty big posse for a few days. 

Did the mandatory trip to the Panama Canal and stood and watched for an eternity as a freight ship and a cruise liner both slooooowly made their way down the miraflores locks. It costs like 150-300k for a boat to pass through the Panama Canal! Because the canal was built all the way across Panama through mountains etc... Boats need to be raised and then lowered back down to sea level and the series of locks is where this occurs. Took me a while (and watching it) to get my head around it. 

Also discovered the amazing existence of ceviche which is raw seafood cured in like juice with onion. I went to the fish market 3 times to eat it. It only costs $2.25 and comes in a styrofoam cup with crackers on the side. I'm craving some now. So fresh and delicious. 

I also spent an afternoon walking around the old town. Interesting the old town is always the nicest part of the city to stroll around - because they were built for pedestrians rather than cars. Something I think we need to consider.

The rest of the time I relaxed, napped and watched movies! Was a really good break! Cancun now. X

No comments:

Post a Comment